Friday, June 20, 2014

The Mixed Media Card Challenge Design Team Call


Do you enjoy playing with a variety of mediums and techniques in your cards? Do you often find yourself creating cards that are a little more than CAS? I'm looking for a few talented card-makers who aren't afraid to get messy in their card-making to join me in this monthly mixed media card challenge.

As a design team member, you'll:
  • create one mixed media card a month based on a theme (reminder cards are optional)
  • comment on your assigned entries
  • pick your favorite and vote on the winner
Interested? Please enter your name in the linky at the end of this post. Link to a mixed media card you have made before on your blog. Feel free to create a new card as your design team entry too. It's up to you.

You may be wondering what I'm looking for in a mixed media card. Straight up, a mixed media card is a card that is created using different mediums. For this card challenge blog, it means using any of the following in addition to the usual stamps and inks:
  • Mediums that add texture. Some examples: fabric, stitching, embossing paste, texture gel, gel medium, modeling paste, gesso, textured paper, glitter, found objects
  • Mediums that give dimension. Some examples: die-cuts, chipboard, embossing powders, epoxy/thick stickers, embellishments, found objects
  • Mediums that allow you to use (and even combine) different techniques. Some examples: watercolor, pastels, alcohol inks, markers, chalks, acrylic paints, oils, crayons
  • Even using various tools and supplies in creating a card is okay. Some examples: die-cutting machine (manual or electronic), monoprinting tools (Gelli plate), punches, dies, stencils, templates
Basically, a card that has stamps and inks PLUS at least any two of the above (embossing paste and alcohol inks, for example) is a mixed media card in my book :o)

This call is open until June 20 and the new design team members will be announced here on the blog on June 23. The first challenge starts on July 1.

Thanks, and I'm looking forward to visiting your blog!

~Shery

A little about me: I'm a mixed media girl who has fallen in love with card-making. My cards tend to be artsy, as I love mixing different mediums in my projects -- watercolor, inks, pigments, gesso, markers, alcohol inks, paints, etc. Samples of my mixed media cards: herehere, here, and here.

12 comments:

  1. I'm new to mixed media - and have gotten involved in Tim Holtz monthly tags as a way to learn to use different techniques - I hope a tag counts as a card?! I've linked one of my tags up here. You can also look under the Mixed Media index on the right sidebar of my blog to see all the mixed media I've done lately! This will be a fun challenge blog!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Julia! If the tag is incorporated in a card, sure, that counts! I love TH tags and the techniques used there are definitely techniques that can be used in cards. Thanks so much for linking up, and I'm off to take a look at your blog! I love mixed media and it's my goal on this challenge blog to have a place for us to showcase our mixed media card creations!

      Delete
  2. Wow, you are starting a challenge blog! Way to go, Shery! I wish life isn't so busy for me at the moment (LOL). I will be checking this out regularly! Congrats on this new creative journey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Virginia! Your support means a lot to me! :o)

      Delete
  3. hi as a design team what is for you here any compensation ,free design badge just curious

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Alicia. This is similar to other card challenge blogs, wherein it's a place for card-makers interested in creating mixed media cards to showcase their projects. No monetary compensation since this is a hobby blog, not a commercial one. That said, design team members will get a design team badge to display on their personal blogs. Also, they're free to use whatever supplies they have from any company (even ones they are promoting or are affiliated with) in the cards they make for the monthly challenge. People who visit this blog will be able to visit the personal blogs/sites of DT members.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I am very interested in your call. I love creating cards and using mixed media..this sounds like a lot of fun..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've linked up a card for the Design Team Call. Just wanted to let you know I have linked directly to the post, but the post begins with a layout and journal page, the card, plus some others, are a bit further down in the post!! Wishing everyone the best of luck!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds FABULOUS Shery! I've linked up, and there are a few of my mixed media pieces here too http://lyndalhiggins.blogspot.com.au/search/label/Mixed%20Media
    Looking forward to playing along :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This sounds perfect for me I do all Mixed Media work Collages, jewelry and cards would be wonderful, I would be interested in applying for a position Thanks so much

    ReplyDelete
  8. This sounds like fun!!! I am a very eclectic designer, believe it or not, I design anywhere between super cutesy to grunge. I love challenges, as I am always looking to try new things. I am very familiar with all types of mixed media and have joined in on many swaps. I am on a DT for Cardz TV Stamps and I would love to be a part of this design team too...if not, just playing along on the challenges would be great too. :)

    Thanks,
    Maria

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shery you have no idea how tempted I am to enter your DT call as this is exactly what I do, but sensible head says my current commitments are too great already. However, it looks like you've got some fantastic entries here (lots of names I know well) and I'm sure your your DT will absolutely rock. I'll be back July 1st to see the lineup and first challenge and will definitely be entering. Wishing you every success with this venture. Jenny xxx

    ReplyDelete